Remote use of XDMCP

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 21 02:15:27 UTC 2006

Robert Brockway wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Mar 2006, James Knott wrote:
>
>> That's what I found out from someone else.  I have to use the -from
>> option in X.  I wonder if there's someway to set that automagically,
>> when using remote login screen?
>
> Sure.  You can put it in the relevant startup script.  When setting a
> box to be a thin client, bu tnot using LTSP, I tend to write an
> /etc/init.d/xterminal file and start it from S99 in /etc/rc?.d
>
> You can start it with -from, -query , -broadcast, a display number or
> whatever you need, without needing to mess with the distro supplied X
> config.

It is not a thin client.  It's my notebook computer, running SUSE 10.
When connected to the local lan, I can use the remote login function, to
connect to the other system.  When coming in through the VPN, even
though I specify the host name, I get only those XDMCP messages I posted
earlier.  The only way I've found so far, to use the XDMCP via the VPN,
is to use the -from option.  It would be nice to use the remote login
feature, but at the moment, I can't.