CD Duplication using Linux

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Mar 18 20:37:22 UTC 2006

| From: ted leslie <tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org>

| The only word of wisdom i have is,
| my first attempt was with normal/typical cd burners (i.e. LG, sony),
| and to do back-2-back burning 100's, the dam things over heat and you get tonnes of issues,
| not to mention they have short life spans.
|
| I use only plextor stuff now, but it gets hot as hell too, but it doesnt seem to make the coasters.
| A tonne of fans should be employeed.

As I understand it, Plextor doesn't make drive mechanisms.  At one
point, I think that the did make some parts of the electronics.  In
some cases, only the firmware is different
  http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=61fc9f75de893e18442390b3bfe36b61&t=157393

In any case, I would expect that current Plextor drives would
mechanically survive about the same length of time as the other drives
with the same mechanism.

Since Plextor drives are usually much more expensive, I'd skip them if
your issue is just phyical lifetime.

The CD and DVD burning world seems to by full of superstition.  Which
brands & manufacturer of media are good for which drives (at which firmware rev)
seems to be unclear.  And this seems to matter -- coasters are still
common.  Not to mention questions about the lifetime of the resulting
disks.