Running two servers inside network

john-Da48MpWaEp0CzWx7n4ubxQ at public.gmane.org john-Da48MpWaEp0CzWx7n4ubxQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Mar 18 19:31:38 UTC 2006

> A few weeks ago my RH9 server got infected with a virus through PHP and
> was
> doing DoS attacks on Google (a Microsoft virus perhaps) and Jason, Tim,
> Peter, Eric and Neil suggested that I scrap the old server and start
> fresh.
> I am just getting around to that task now. I have a new machine with
> CentOS
> installed (thanks to another TLUG member I enjoyed beer with last Tuesday
> night but whose name I've forgotten). This is an excellent upgrade path
> for
> someone running RH9.
>
> To test the new machine I went into my WRT54G Linksys router and changed
> the
> DMZ from 192.168.2.39 (old machine) to 192.168.2.55 (new machine). Did my
> testing late at night but when I set the DMZ back to the old machine it
> stopped working.  This gave me quite a scare because by looking at logs
> and
> so on it should have been working. Zonked I went to sleep and when I got
> up
> this morning it just started working again around 11:30AM. I have no idea
> why it stopped working for about ten hours but I am looking for advice on
> how I can switch back and forth without encountering this problem.

It sounds like a Linksys problem. I don't recommend using the DMZ option
if you don't have to, this may have helped the hackers on your old system.
I recommend that you only open the ports that you need to. Depending on
your firmware, this can be done in Applications and Gaming.

Instead of changing the firewall to point to a new IP address you can swap
the addresses on the servers.