Linux Infrared Remote Control detectors

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Mar 18 02:10:57 UTC 2006

In the last 24 hours I got an article off to and for
the Linux Journal website about the Linux Infrared
remote control project. The article focuses on what is
involved in building the simple serial detector shown
here:

  http://www.lirc.org/receivers.html

Now, the questions is are there folks on this list who
would be interested in:

- building the serial interface.
- some (but not all) free parts.
- some help in building the project.

I have quite a number of custom DB9 to DB-25 serial
cables that I can not see myself ever using, and I
would be happy to see slightly used DB9 connectors and
hoods re-used for Linux related projects. The other
parts needed are:

- IC1 – SFH 5110-38 Infrared detector, or compatible
- IC2 – 78L05 voltage regulator
- D1 – 1N4148 diode
- R1 – 4.7 K ohm 0.25 watt carbon resistor
- C1 – 4.7 uF 16 volt electrolytic capacitor
Miscellaneous: Perf. board, hookup wire, rosin core
solder, flux remover

With the exception of IC1 all of the above items are
easily found locally and cheap (the cost of IC2, D1,
R1, and C1 should total under $2). I have not found a
local source for IC1, but they are available by mail
(web?) order for under $2 (U.S.) each before shipping
charges are added in. For one person the shipping
charges would be the big stumbling block to doing this
project, but if several people on this list are
interested in joining together, splitting shipping
charges things become much more reasonable...

If there is some interest I would be happy to
co-ordinate a joint mail order part buy and try to
set-up a suitable joint LIRC build session.

Colin McGregor