CD Duplication using Linux

ted leslie tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 17 00:59:49 UTC 2006

i have done some stuff in this,
to make a custom boot CD for clients,
but i have to make each one custom, so i have to do a full iso creation for each burn.

3 years ago i got a plain 1.8Ghz type machine to simultaneously burn 3 CD,
tried 4 at a time, but that seemed to finally kill the bus.

I'd suspect that today a typical machine could do 4 at a time.
I put in a promise IE card so as to have HD's and CD spread around and not all overloading the
single IDE bus.

I am putting together a 3 DVD burner machine now, because i have to create the ISO's
i figure 3 might be the best it get, given the machine will be
baking ISO's and then also burning the DVD at the same time.

The only word of wisdom i have is,
my first attempt was with normal/typical cd burners (i.e. LG, sony),
and to do back-2-back burning 100's, the dam things over heat and you get tonnes of issues,
not to mention they have short life spans.

I use only plextor stuff now, but it gets hot as hell too, but it doesnt seem to make the coasters.
A tonne of fans should be employeed.

With a good dual cpu board or just a normal dual core (if your baking iso's), a good set of IDE buses
(i.e. add a card), a good amount of ram (store a ISO in ram?),
I would guess you could burn upwards of 6 at once,
if all the cd/dvd are the same, you should be able to do atleast 6 if not 8,
especially if you have a pci-x pci-e IDE expansion card.
Also depends on your burning speed, 3 years ago i think i was burning at maybe 16X ?
now 52X is the norm. But you could always get two PCI-x/e IDE cards and the onboard
and have a good transfer path to them all.

-tl