partitioning new installation

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 16 15:43:33 UTC 2006

On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 06:06:59AM -0500, James Knott wrote:
> One thing I've noticed, is that it's easy to increase a partition size,
> but not decrease.  When I try to decrease a partition size, using Yast
> LVM in SUSE 10, it complains about editing a mounted drive.  No such
> complaints about increasing the size of the same partition.

Many filesystems support on the fly expanding.  Shrinking is a much much
harder job, and hence not implemented for most filesystems.  Of course
since most people run out of space and not the other way around, working
on online shrinking is not a high priority for most people especially
since it is much harder to implement.  After all you have to move data
out of the end of the device before you can shrink it.  Adding just
means add more blocks and increase the free inode table size.

Len Sorensen