Grep and Regular Expressions

Tony Abou-Assaleh taa-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 16 06:19:16 UTC 2006

I would like thank TLUG for giving me the opportunity to speak on Tuesday
(March 14). I don't recall enjoying giving a talk as much as I did on
Tuesday. The audience was just fantastic - a lot of very good questions,
and a lot of very good answers. The best audience ever!

It was the first time I attended a TLUG meeting and I loved it. I
encourage everyone try to attend these meetings. There are so many
knowledgeable and interesting people, much to be learned, and a good
company.

Below are some links that are relevant to the talk for those who wish to
pursue the subject further. The slides are posted on my grep page. I would
welcome any question or comments regarding grep and regular expressions
(and every thing else too, of course).

Links:

GNU grep official web site:
http://www.gnu.org/software/grep/

GNU grep development information (includes a lot of interesting
information about grep in general):
http://www.gnu.org/software/grep/devel.html

My grep page (list of grep-like tools + 2 technical reports)
http://www.cosc.brocku.ca/~taa/greps.html

GNU grep nightly CVS builds (includes many bug fixes since the last
release, this is basically a release candidate):
http://www.dal-acm.ca/~taa/grep/

GNU grep site on Savannah (bugs, patches, cvs, etc.):
https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/grep/

The Open Group Base Specifications Issue 6: Regular Expressions (the
official definition of basic and extended regular expressions that are
used in grep):
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/basedefs/xbd_chap09.html

Cheers,

TAA

Tony Abou-Assaleh
Lecturer, Computer Science Department
Brock University, St. Catharines, ON, Canada, L2S 3A1
Office: MC J215
Tel:    +1(905)688-5550 ext. 5243
Fax:    +1(905)688-3255
Email:  taa-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org