Play Station 3 and Linux

Randy Jonasz rjonasz-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 16 01:09:40 UTC 2006

On 3/15/06, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 03:41:54PM -0500, Byron Sonne wrote:
> > >Alas, no info on what distribution is being used
> >
> > You know, I've had similar wonderings. Given that the Cell processor is
> > some crazy-ass stuff I think they might roll their own or something...
> > maybe with a heavily modified tool chain? I hope they at least provide
> > an awesome compiler...
>
> The Cell is a powerpc based design.  The compiler will probably be gcc.
>
> Supporting the 7 coprocessor engines will probably require assembly or a
> library, or some other such tool.

I found this bit about the sdk for PS3

One of many announcements at Sony's PlayStation Business Briefing 2006
included the fate of the final PlayStation 3 software development kits
(SDK). At the event, SCE president Ken Kutaragi stated that they would
be sent to developers' studios in June, earlier than many had
predicted. In addition, it was also revealed that more than 15
companies are making tools and middleware for the dev kits in an
effort to make developing PS3 software a much smoother process.

I'm not much of a gamer but exotic hardware, assembly and C++
programing are enticing :)

> Len Sorensen

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can