[OT] Selling Some Computer Stuff on E-Bay

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 15 22:24:43 UTC 2006

On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 04:50:50PM -0500, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> I often buy Brother laser printers.  That in itself should be a
> warning -- why do I have to replace them?  Let me explain.

My farther wears out about one epson inkjet per year.  I hope that will
change now that he got a xerox phaser 6300 colour laser.  He tends to
average 15000 to 20000 pages of printout per year as far as I can tell.
He got a phaser 8400 but ended up exchanging it due to insane amounts of
ink waste caused by the way it handles cleaning and power blips.  The
6300 is about $1400cdn after rebates.  It does postscript level 3 with
an 800mhz powerpc, has network port build in, has seperate toner for
each color, seperate drum, fuser, etc.  36ppm black, 26ppm color (and
they are not exagerating).  Yes it is 14times the cost of the cheap
brother, but also much faster, can print fast even from older slower
machines since it doesn't have to waste cpu time on rendering, and I
suspect the toner costs a lot less.  I think we finally realized that
the same rules we have used for buying computer parts should be used for
printers.  Buy one good one, rather than a lot of crappy ones.  It takes
to much time to go buy a new printer everytime the cheap one fails,
while the nice printer just works and is much faster.

Len Sorensen