Play Station 3 and Linux

Randy Jonasz rjonasz-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 15 19:31:24 UTC 2006

I seen this article about linux on PS3.  I though I'd pass it on.

>From http://videogames.yahoo.com/newsarticle?eid=446224&page=0

[UPDATE] The SCE president also told the crowd that the PS3 would use
a 60GB 2.5" hard disc drive (HDD). A slide show during the
presentation said the HDD would will be loaded with the Linux
operating system versus Microsoft's Windows OS. The show also said it
could be used as a "home server" and be directly connected to the
Internet, and be full "upgradeable."

Kutaragi also made it clear that the hard drive will be necessary to
play games--Sony is telling developers to make games assuming every
PS3 has a hard drive installed. "We view the Hard Drive to be
mandatory for the PS3," he said. "Rather than have developers create
games for the PS3 with or without the HDD, we will be asking them to
develop games as though all PS3s have the HDD installed."

Alas, no info on what distribution is being used

Cheers,

Randy

--
Imagine no possessions