X and Eye Candy

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 15 04:55:26 UTC 2006

"D. Hugh Redelmeier" <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> writes:

> | From: Tim Writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>
> |
> | Evan Leibovitch <evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org> writes:
> |
> | > Release 0.1 doesn't support DRI but future versions will aim at
> | > supporting it.
> |
> | Are you sure about that? ATI's proprietary driver requires DRI for hardware
> | accelerated OpenGL. Without DRI, 3D rendering is software only. In which
> | case, why wouldn't it (Xgl) work with any video card, assuming the system is
> | fast enough to provide reasonable 3D performance?
>
> As I understand it, Xgl is an X server built on top of another X
> server.  Xgl does not provide DRI to its clients, but it uses DRI as a
> client of the other server.
>
> It isn't obvious to me that there is a way for Xgl to provide DRI to
> its client.  I just don't know if the DRI from one level can be made
> to look like DRI at another.

Ok, I see. Xgl doesn't provide DRI services to its clients (yet) but it uses
the DRI services of the underlying proprietary driver in its implementation.
That makes sense to me.

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
647.722.5301                                      toronto, ontario, canada