/bckupdrv how big?

Ivan Avery Frey ivan.frey-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 15 00:17:11 UTC 2006

As I was observing this thread I saw how confused you were about the procedure
for making using of a hard disk. If I had caught sight of this earlier I would
have intervened earlier.

To summarize:

1) Partition the hard disk. BTW, there is a gui frontend to parted called qtparted.

2) Create filesystems in the partitions you have created in step 1. This is also
known as formatting. Parted will allow you to do this.

3) Mount the filesystems.

Parted (a partitionmagic like utility) is a very powerful piece of software, but
it does take time to understand its commands.

I once used cfdisk but it wouldn't let me make the extended partition bootable;
I installed lilo in my extended partition and only fdisk allowed me at the time
to make the extended partition bootable.

Ivan.