Adding Rails to old site.

Lance F. Squire lance-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 14 20:38:15 UTC 2006

Has anyone gotten this to work?

As my first experiment in Rails, I'm adding a search feature to an
existing site.

Found the How Tos on wiki.rubyonrails.com

Deployment:

     * HowToSetTheBaseURLsOfYourRailsApps

I've tried both the symlink and the Apache Alias methods with no luck.

Symlink gets the start-up page (You're running Rails!) but can't find
anything beyond that.

The Alias gets the 'Dreaded' Application can't start Error.

For reference:

WebBrick works fine.

Files in Symlink mode. Remove #s for Alias mode.

.htaccess:
RewriteEngine On

#Alias /program_downloads/Archive /home/ballyalley/Rails/Archive/public
RewriteBase /program_downloads/Archive

Alias from Virtual Host:
#       Alias /program_downloads/Archive
"/home/ballyalley/Rails/Archive/public"
#       <Directory /home/ballyalley/Rails/Archive/public/>
#               Options ExecCGI FollowSymLinks
#               AllowOverride all
#               Allow from all
#               Order allow,deny
#       </Directory>

At this point I'm thinking of using ProxyPass to WebBrick, Though I
suspect that would be slower...

Any Help appreciated.
Thanks,

Lance F. Squire