/bckupdrv how big?

Chris Aitken caitken-Bm8TULXj0r/3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 14 16:23:47 UTC 2006

Tim Writer wrote:

<snip>

>Are you sure about the output? This looks like the disk isn't partitioned,
>although that contradicts the df output above.
>
>To try and solve it:
>
>    o   Unmount it

Not necessary -- it's gone now.

>    o   Clear the partition table
>
>        # dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdb count=1

[root at a800 pauline]# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdb count=1
1+0 records in
1+0 records out

>    o   Install sfdisk

Already have it:
[root at a800 pauline]# /sbin/sfdisk
sfdisk version 3.08 (aeb-rh8NL+sEX9E at public.gmane.org, 040824) from util-linux-2.12p

>    o   Put this in a script and execute it (the script)
>
>        #!/bin/sh
>        sfdisk /dev/hdb <<EOF
>        0,,L
>        ;
>        ;
>        ;
>        EOF

[root at a800 pauline]# vi diskfixscript

>    o   Make a file system on /dev/hdb1
>
>        # mke2fs -j /dev/hdb1

Won't work. hdb1 is gone:
[root at a800 pauline]# /sbin/mke2fs -j /dev/hdb1
mke2fs 1.37 (21-Mar-2005)
Could not stat /dev/hdb1 --- No such file or directory

The device apparently does not exist; did you specify it correctly?

>    o   Mount it again
>
>If this doesn't solve the problem, there may be something wrong with your
>disk.

Obviously, because of all I've done now /dev/hdb1 does not exist. I'm
hesitant to create the partition with fdisk again as I had trouble with
that. I dunno about sfdisk (unless you can give me step-by-step
instructions) to create the partition either -- man fdisk advises that
sfdisk is only for hackers. It advises the best choise (for me) is
cfdisk which I can't find:

[root at a800 pauline]# find / -name cfdisk
find: WARNING: Hard link count is wrong for /proc: this may be a bug in
your filesystem driver.  Automatically turning on find's -noleaf
option.  Earlier results may have failed to include directories that
should have been searched.

Chris