/bckupdrv how big?

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 14 14:51:13 UTC 2006

Chris Aitken <caitken-Bm8TULXj0r/3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org> writes:

> Tim Writer wrote:
>
> >To try and solve it:
> >

> I'm flattered you think I can handle this.

I'm trying to keep it simple. I chose sfdisk because it can be fully
controlled from the command line and a configuration file, no need to walk
you through, with instructions like "Press 'P' and hit 'ENTER'. Now you
should see ...."

> >    o   Unmount it
> >

> Okay:
> [root at a800 pauline]# umount /dev/hdb1
>
> >    o   Clear the partition table
> >
> >        # dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdb count=1
> >

> [root at a800 pauline]# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdb count=1
> 1+0 records in
> 1+0 records out
>
> >    o   Install sfdisk
> >

> Looks like I have it:
> [root at a800 pauline]# /sbin/sfdisk
> sfdisk version 3.08 (aeb-rh8NL+sEX9E at public.gmane.org, 040824) from util-linux-2.12p
> Usage: sfdisk [options] device ...
>
> >    o   Put this in a script and execute it (the script)
> >

> Do I make a file in vi then put a ./ infront of it from the directory it's
> in? Is that how to "execute" it?

That's one way. If you do it that way, you will have to make it executable
first, like this:

    # vi script
    .... edit as described
    # chmod +x script
    # ./script

Alternatively, you can just run the script with sh, like this:

    # sh script

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
647.722.5301                                      toronto, ontario, canada