/bckupdrv how big?

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 14 01:31:58 UTC 2006

caitken-Bm8TULXj0r/3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org writes:

> caitken-Bm8TULXj0r/3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org writes: <snip>
>
> > I thought I was okay with this but I'm not. I'm only able to save under 1
> > Gb on this supposedly 6.5 GB dard drive. I'm getting different information
> > from fdisk, hardware browser, df, and Nautilus.
>

> [root at a800 pauline]# df /bckupdrv
> Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/hdb1              1004024   1004024         0 100% /bckupdrv Hardware
> Browser:
>
> 5722 MB Nautilus:
>
> Name: bckupdrv
> Type: folder
> Contents: 1120 items, totalling 959.2 MB
> Location: /
> Volume: 6.0G Media
> Free bytes: 0 space fdisk:
>
> [root at a800 pauline]# /sbin/fdisk -l /dev/hdb Disk /dev/hdb: 6488 MB,
> 6488294400 bytes
>
> 118 heads, 58 sectors/track, 1851 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 6844 * 512 = 3504128 bytes How can I make this partition
> so that I can use the whole 6 GB? Chris <snip>

Are you sure about the output? This looks like the disk isn't partitioned,
although that contradicts the df output above.

To try and solve it:

    o   Unmount it

    o   Clear the partition table

        # dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdb count=1

    o   Install sfdisk

    o   Put this in a script and execute it (the script)

        #!/bin/sh
        sfdisk /dev/hdb <<EOF
        0,,L
        ;
        ;
        ;
        EOF

    o   Make a file system on /dev/hdb1

        # mke2fs -j /dev/hdb1

    o   Mount it again

If this doesn't solve the problem, there may be something wrong with your
disk.

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
647.722.5301                                      toronto, ontario, canada