X and Eye Candy

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 13 23:53:07 UTC 2006

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:

>This isn't just philosophical.  One of the things I like about Linux
>is that devices seem to be supported, in a realistic sense, well past
>when the manufacturer is no longer interested in them.  In a
>theoretical sense, forever (but this may require an unreasonable
>amount of self-help).

If the binary drivers are freely copyable then they will be around
forever, able to work with X servers that don't change the interface.
However, you offer a hint at something here...

>Old ATI cards have open drivers that can do 3d.  This is not the case for newer ATI cards nor for nVidia cards.

ATI makes no new money off old cards, neither does nVidia. The
proprietary edge that they must keep on current cards has a finite life.
One would hope that as the next generation of cards is available, source
for the no-longer-sold ones will be opened. This tactic has a reasonable
chance of success and is a reasonable middle ground.

- Evan