Fedora startup script help

Muhammad Imran imranqau-PkbjNfxxIARBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 10 04:10:03 UTC 2006

Hi everyone,

I am trying to run a perl/BASH script as a daemon upon entering run-level 3.
Here is what I did:
I copied a script from /etc/init.d and modified it: put sym links in
/etc/rc.d/rc3.d & rc0.d

When system enters run level 3, it displays message "Starting my daemon".
However it doesn't detach from terminal and stays there. I am trying to run
it as daemon (detached from launching terminal) using daemon function in
shell startup script. but apparently its not working.

Can anybody suggest a way to run a perl script as daemon upon startup on
Fedora?
Any help/advice is highly appreciated.

Here is what startup script looks like:
#############
#!/bin/bash

SERVER=/usr/sbin/myfirewalld
prog="Intrusion detection system"

[ -f $SERVER ] || exit 0

start() {
        echo -n $"Starting $prog: "
        daemon $SERVER
        RETVAL=$?
        [ "$RETVAL" = 0 ] && touch /var/lock/subsys/myfirewalld
        echo
}

stop() {
        echo -n $"Stoping $prog: "
        kill -9 $SERVER 2>/dev/null
        rm -f /var/lock/subsys/myfirewalld
}

case "$1" in
  start)
        start
        ;;
  stop)
        stop
        ;;
  status)
        status myfirewalld
        ;;
  restart|reload)
        stop
        start
        ;;
  *)
        echo $"Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart|condrestart|status}"
        exit 1
esac
exit 0
################ end of startup script ######################

And here is a sample server/daemon BASH script:
########################
#!/bin/sh
#loop forever
while :
do
        # now sleep for 5 minutes
        sleep 30
        # after wakeup send message to all users
        wall <<EOF
                I am running.....
EOF
done
Obviously, I will replace this script with something more useful :) once i
figure it out how to run it detached from terminal;

Regards,
Imran.