partitioning new installation

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 9 17:43:48 UTC 2006

On Wed, Mar 08, 2006 at 04:07:46PM -0500, Chris Aitken wrote:
> Can anyone suggest a partitioning scheme for a new FC4 installation?
> Every time I make a bunch of partitions I end up with too much free
> space on some and not enough on others (notably /usr and /home).
>
> Master is 20 GB and slave is 6 GB. I think I'll partition the slave as
> /backupdrive -- that's worked well for me on another machine - .jpg's,
> .ogg's et al.

Sounds reasonable.

> How about
> swap 500 MB (I have 256 MB RAM)
> /boot 256 MB

Is your machine ancient enough to need a /boot?

> / the remainder
> ?

Good setup in my opinion other than the /boot.

I believe the sane setup for most home uses is what debian recomends.
One large partition for everything, and one swap partition.

You either have free space or you don't.

Multiple partitions were in the past used by people using crap backup
tools, or worried about running out of room for logs or to control quota
for users for different parts of the system.

I tend to setup servers with a large 20G or so / partition to hold the
OS and applications, and then a partition for /home (usually in LVM
actually), swap (also in LVM) and /data or /var or something for the
places that store database and fileserver shares and such.

I haven't found these methods to be a problem yet.

My home machine is a bit of a mess with 3 HDs in it and some partitioned
in rather unfortunate ways due to rearanging things over time (I have to
just delete that old windows install one of these days), and it is quite
a hassle to have all those partitions.

Len Sorensen