partitioning new installation

Chris Aitken caitken-Bm8TULXj0r/3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 8 23:17:20 UTC 2006

Neil Watson wrote:

> /var should be separate.  If any logs grow uncontrollably you don't want
> them filling your / partition.

OK, thanks. I went with /var 1 GB, swap 500 MB, /boot100 MB, remainder
(17 ish GB) for /.

At 'Firewall Configuration' I don't know whether or not to click 'Enable
Firewall'. Also, I'm not clear on whether or not to 'allow access to
specific services on [my] computer from other computers'. I don't
remotely logon from other computers but I do go on the Internet via my
cable ISP account. I do have the computer networked to another computer
in the house - I don't want to screw any of that up but I don't want to
give hackers free run of my PC either.

Chris