partitioning new installation

John Van Ostrand john-Da48MpWaEp0CzWx7n4ubxQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 8 21:53:32 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-08 at 16:07 -0500, Chris Aitken wrote:
> Can anyone suggest a partitioning scheme for a new FC4 installation?
> Every time I make a bunch of partitions I end up with too much free
> space on some and not enough on others (notably /usr and /home).
>
> Master is 20 GB and slave is 6 GB. I think I'll partition the slave as
> /backupdrive -- that's worked well for me on another machine - .jpg's,
> .ogg's et al.
>
> How about
> swap 500 MB (I have 256 MB RAM)
> /boot 256 MB
> / the remainder
> ?

For me it's LVM all the way. That way I can put only what I need on
partitions and grow them later if need-be. Even with LVM I tend to be
generous with / because it's much harder to grow.

For workstations I go with three logical volumes (partitions):

    /boot    100M (or less regardless of what Anaconda warns)
    swap    1024M (if you get 1G into swap you're really in trouble)
    /            remainder

For servers I want to compartmentalize in case one filesystem fills up.
I'm also an older UNIX quy who wants dynamic file systems (/tmp, /var,
etc) on separate file systems.

The file system sizes depend on what you will be installing. For a 20GB
you'll be fighting space and I would recommend as a minimum:

/boot 64M (or less, how many kernels do you want?)
swap 1024M
/  1024M (I like space here to make upgrades easy, I'm also a
MailScanner fan and this is where rules_du_jour puts rules)
/usr 4096M (really depends on what you install)
/var 1024M (more for mail servers, etc)
/home (depends on user needs)
/opt (if you are installing software that wants to go there.

Then as you know how the space is being used grow the file systems into
the 20GB,
--
John Van Ostrand
         Net Direct Inc.