partitioning new installation

wattst-dxuVLtCph9gsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org wattst-dxuVLtCph9gsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 8 21:17:08 UTC 2006

Quoting Chris Aitken <caitken-Bm8TULXj0r/3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org>:

> Can anyone suggest a partitioning scheme for a new FC4 installation?
> Every time I make a bunch of partitions I end up with too much free
> space on some and not enough on others (notably /usr and /home).
>
> Master is 20 GB and slave is 6 GB. I think I'll partition the slave as
> /backupdrive -- that's worked well for me on another machine - .jpg's,
> .ogg's et al.
>
> How about
> swap 500 MB (I have 256 MB RAM)
> /boot 256 MB
> / the remainder
> ?
>
> Chris

Personally, I like a separate partition for /home, that way when I reinstall the
OS, I don't have to back up my own data.  Generally, I do something like this:

/boot - no more than what it needs
/ - ~6 GB (this depends how much additional software you install, you'll get a
better idea of this size over time)
swap - 2 x RAM
/home - whatever is left

You really have to just see what works for you.  And by the way, if you're the
type who likes to be on the bleeding edge, you might want to hold off for a
week since Fedora Core 5 is supposed to come out next Wednesday.  But you can
always do an upgrade afterwards.

Tom Watts
wattst-dxuVLtCph9gsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org