Bytecc 2.5" External Drive Enclosure - bus power supplies enough juice?

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 8 19:24:48 UTC 2006

--- Daniel Armstrong <dwarmstrong-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Are these external drive enclosures that draw power
> from the USB ports
> getting enough juice to run properly?

Depends on the drive. I have one of those external
boxes in to which I put a 2 GB drive (yes, I am on a
TIGHT hardware budget :-( ). Any event the USB
standard allows any single USB device to draw up to
500 mA (1/2 amp) of power, and that is less than that
old 2 GB drive requires. Now, with my set-up that is
not a big deal because the case came with a Y style
USB cable. The drive eats two USB ports, but it can
grab up to 1 amp of power and still be in spec..

The only machine I have where that is a real issue is
with my laptop (an older laptop with only 1 USB
port...). Still I could get around that, sort of, with
one of the active USB hubs that come with a 5 volt
power supply... but it would leave me chained to a
power outlet :-( .

Colin McGregor