USB stick partition problems

bassix-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org bassix-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 8 14:59:26 UTC 2006

Hi,

I'm hoping someone else has experienced this and knows how to fix it...

I've got a PNY 1GB USB 2.0 stick. When I first bought it, I was able
to properly create 2 partitions and install a live distro on it (one
partition around 700MB, the other around 277MB). Everything worked
great.

Then I needed to lend it to a friend (windows) so I deleted the
partitions, booted into windows and formatted the whole stick (1GB)
fat32. That worked fine.

Now I am unable to repartition it in linux. When I plug it in, linux
sees it as an unpartitioned device. In fdisk there are no partitions,
so I can create one. If I create a 1GB partition and write changes,
TWO 1GB devices show up on the desktop (one /dev/sda and one
/dev/sda1), both saying they are 1GB. I am unable to write or access
either however (I get mtab error).

Ironically, the stick works fine in windows (as a single 1GB drive).

I really want to be able to repartition the stick in linux again so
that I can actually use it there! :-(

Thanks for any advice!

-Steve.