List etiquette

Paul King pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 8 11:53:46 UTC 2006

On 8 Mar 2006 at 1:43, BusterThelen-YDxpq3io04c at public.gmane.org spaketh these wourdes:

> I feel I have something to contribute to this thread, though AOL  mail issued
> under MS Windows is all I know how to use so far.  Does  etiquette require me to
> hold my tongue until I become a geek?

That is really the whole point, isn't it? I personally haven't yet found the time
to know how to do the things I have listed in the UNIX mailers fabled to "do all
of the above". With Pegasus, that evolution of knowledge is the accomplishment of
over 10 years of continual use and some occasional fiddling. I have been on this
mailing list for 11 years, and this is the first time I have had anyone complain
about Pegasus botching up anything other users do. These complaints are usally
reserved for Outlook and web mail users, and they usually regard the issue of
exceeding 80 columns and using non-standard attachment methods (which BTW, is
ironic to hear, since the at least one of the RFCs regarding MIME was co-authored
by people at Microsoft). Actually, simply sending *any* attachments will get on
most people's cases in this list.

Frankly, my attitude is that if I am plonked by users of this list for the
heinous crime of not bottom-posting (or was it "not top-posting"?) or of getting
the Message-ID line in my headers wrong, or the References line, or for my
spelling of the word "heinous", I certainly do not mean to inconvenience their
lives with my "socially unacceptable" header lines so they are free to plonk
away. I suppose the fact that Pegasus places an "@localhost" in my Message-ID
will be the closest I will ever get to becoming a computer criminal.
:-)

As for the References line, I never notice these things, because I never view my
email in a threaded way (Pegasus looks at your subject line when threading, but
alphabetizes the threads so you lose information on the dates, which is why I
never use that view). I sort everything by date/time, and use a non-threaded
view. I'm used to it, so I don't complain.

Paul King