List etiquette

BusterThelen-YDxpq3io04c at public.gmane.org BusterThelen-YDxpq3io04c at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 8 06:43:52 UTC 2006

In a message dated 3/4/2006 9:45:36 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
nobrowser-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org writes:

Paul>  ... Another thing I like about Pegasus, is
Paul> that it is smart enough  to detect foreign character sets (given a
Paul> very simple filter  setting) such as Korean, Cyrillic or Chinese,
Paul> and automatically  place them in the trash.

Pretty much any current Unix mailer will let  you do all the above.

That seems like poor etiquette to me.  Are you sure you understand  what
etiquette is?  Is it poor etiquette if I send a message that breaks  threads, or
is it poor etiquette to run a system that cannot handle such  messages in a way
that doesn't break threads?  I've been led to believe  that one can get under
the hood of a Linux system and make it work the way you  want it to work.
How polite is it to lay responsibility for not breaking  your system on those
with other kinds of contributions to make?

Etiquette has to do with behavior in POLITE society, not with  following
rules laid down because ignorant systems have deficiencies.  How  polite and
mannerly are your regular group members towards those who  don't understand or know
how to follow your rules?  Or, regarding  the above excerpt, to those who
happen to use foreign  characters.

I feel I have something to contribute to this thread, though AOL  mail issued
under MS Windows is all I know how to use so far.  Does  etiquette require me
to hold my tongue until I become a geek?

Your responses, or lack thereof, will tell me just how polite your society
is, and from that we will all see what questions of etiquette (of any kind) are
 properly raised here.

Robert Stitt

And God said: "Do I have to do all the creating around  here?"