sudoers files and apt-get upgrade

James. Q Li shijialee-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 8 03:39:03 UTC 2006

hi,

(using debian sarge stable)

I can't find a good config for sudoer file to deal with the environment setup problem in recent
sudo upgrade. in short, i had the following lines in my /etc/sudoers file
  Defaults     !set_logname,env_reset,env_keep=*
then my $HOME is still my user home under sudo and i am happy.

however, I started to having problem about it while doing apt-get upgrade. the problem is that
when doing apt-get upgrade unsing my sudo account, all of the postinst script failed because it
couldn't find the path to some of the commands it invokes.
for example i was trying to upgrade 'tar' today and it complains that
"/var/lib/dpkg/info/tar.postinst: line 4: install-info: command not found"

however, i added echo $PATH to the script and it output the correct paths.
I can su - then run apt-get upgrade without problem.
then i take out the above line in /etc/sudoers file, sudo apt-get upgrade is fine again.

anyone had similar problem ? what's ya sudoers file setup for this?

TIA,

James.