yum-less PSC 1610 driver install?

Peter plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Sun Mar 5 17:52:46 UTC 2006

On Sun, 5 Mar 2006, Chris Aitken wrote:

> Peter wrote:
>>
>> Can you not work with ptal instead ? I use ptal with a 1310 USB.
>
> Hmm. I read a little about that. Never tried it. Lots of questions there. Is
> it something I install or just run? Is it included on RH9? Would I be
> printing from command line instead of GUI apps (like OO)? Is printing across
> a network a problem (the hp psc 1610 is on another machine)?

I don't know about RH, ptal works with cups. If you have cups you can
use ptal. I do not know if the 1610 is supported in ptal, but it should
be. Go to the ptal page and see. The install instructions work great.

> The problem for me with anything on linux (because of time constaints and
> lack of understanding about the ten peripheral topics that I have to learn
> everytime I want to do anything new) is that I have to pick a solution and
> just go after it (no matter what). So, I have to choose ptal or hplip or
> whatever and keep hakcing away at it no matter where it takes me (library
> instals, OS installs, software install...).

Tell me about it. My problem with Windows is, that five minutes after
someone confidently tells me that 'Windows works great and is compatible
with all hardware' we discover that there is no driver disk because it
was misplaced.

Peter