yum-less PSC 1610 driver install?

Chris Aitken caitken-Bm8TULXj0r/3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Sun Mar 5 14:35:03 UTC 2006

Peter wrote:

> Can you not work with ptal instead ? I use ptal with a 1310 USB.

Hmm. I read a little about that. Never tried it. Lots of questions
there. Is it something I install or just run? Is it included on RH9?
Would I be printing from command line instead of GUI apps (like OO)? Is
printing across a network a problem (the hp psc 1610 is on another machine)?

The problem for me with anything on linux (because of time constaints
and lack of understanding about the ten peripheral topics that I have to
learn everytime I want to do anything new) is that I have to pick a
solution and just go after it (no matter what). So, I have to choose
ptal or hplip or whatever and keep hakcing away at it no matter where it
takes me (library instals, OS installs, software install...).

This is not going to happen for me today, obviously. The HP PSC 1610 is
hooked up to my production machine (P733). I got it printing by
following the instructions to install hplip using yum. Now I want my
wife/business partner) to be able to print to that printer across the
network from her production machine (AMD Duron 800). My machine has FC2
on it and is pretty friendly to new things now as I have done so much
work on it (libraries and such) to get Thunderbird, and Rosegarden (and
maybe a couple of other things) installed and working. My wife's machine
is RH8 (Psyche), however, and is more anemic of libraries. I may have to
install FC2 on her machine over the March Break -- that way I can take
my successful P733 troubleshoots and repeat them on the AMD800.

I would consider FC4 on both machines as the HP PSC 1610 driver is
probably there, but I would have to see is my machines will work OK with
that OS. Also, I don't have the FC4 CDs and have never made bootable OS
CDs before - though I have a burner on P733 and know how to use it. All
these things tkae time to learn/do so I also have to decide if I want to
have her printing in on  month, tow months or three months.  I'm not
being dramatic here. I have two jobs, travel 1000 km a week. The time I
have to devote to this is precious little. However, I am determined --
I've been using linux for years now - it's what we run our home business
on. I won't use Windows, on moral grounds.

I don't even have that interface (what is it called, anyway?) on the
AMD800 machine that comes up when I type http://localhost:631/ on the
P733 machine.

Chris

<snip>