Request to see presentations on email theory and tools [Was: List etiquette]

John Van Ostrand john-Da48MpWaEp0CzWx7n4ubxQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Mar 4 22:39:10 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-03-04 at 17:13 -0500, Scott Elcomb wrote:
> 2 hours should be sufficient. (20m SMTP, 20m POP3, 20m IMAP, 10m
> break, 10m per client, 10m summary)

So for example you're suggesting SMTP would cover an overview, rfc(2)822
general message format, perhaps MIME since it's so popular, maybe go
over an SMTP conversation, authentication, etc. Telnet to SMTP port and
demo.

POP3 is easy, 20m may be overkill (use it for SMTP). Telnet to pop3 port
read mail.

IMAP is more complex, give overview, show commands, telnet to imap port
and demo.

I'm no expert, but I could easily cover those topics.

> > What details about those are you looking for?
>
> Details for the lay-user - what views and notable features are
> available for the tool.

I'm not a huge tool person. I use them but don't go deep into them. I
could cover SMTP, IMAP and POP3 config for Evolution and Thunderbird.

Hoe many are interested in this presentation?