List etiquette

Ian Zimmerman nobrowser-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Mar 4 03:36:01 UTC 2006

Jamon> So the breakage occurs when someone replies to a message, deletes
Jamon> the body, and changes the subject? With a blank message and no
Jamon> subject the header remains and threads the message improperly (to
Jamon> us users, but correctly to whichever program is doing the
Jamon> threading) correct?

Yes, that's breakage due to bad etiquette.  We already covered that.  :-/

But there's also breakage due to bad software, such as Eudora.  It inserts
a References header, but puts there all thread Message-Ids _except the last_.
So a reader who assumes 2822 compliance will file the message into the right
thread, but as a reply to the wrong message (the last-but-one).

I have actually unsubscribed from mailing lists where Eudora users post,
rather than to deal with it.  But now I am working on a hack to get
around it.

--
A true pessimist won't be discouraged by a little success.