Getting jiggy with it

Ansar Mohammed ansarm-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Mar 4 01:31:40 UTC 2006

I admit it. I am frugal!
So I always look for the cheapest way out of a problem.

Moving to Canada was a bit of a challenge to rebuild my lab, especially
since servers consume a huge amount of power and take up a tremendous amount
of space.. neither of which are cheap here.

So I came upon a solution.. MiniITX. But damn it is so expensive...

So I started to look for a cheaper way out..

Then I came upon this site

http://www.linux-hacker.net/

Basically you got tons of devices out there, from linksys routers to thin
clients to web terminals that are all capable of running Linux, FreeBSD
etc..

So I started looking ...

Luckily I came upon a guy in Orangeville who had 2 thin clients; netier
xl2000 (AMD k6-2, x86 motherboard, onboard ethernet, WOL and PXE).. I got
them for 30 bucks each.
then hooked up with some guys selling internal laptop ide cables (
cablesonline.net)... plugged in a laptop ide cable.. a PXE boot later and I
have freeBSD running on it.

Now you can get these suckers for $9 on ebay.. lol

Anyway, I thought I could share this experience for anyone else looking to
setup a home network cheaply.