Linux World Canada show meeting.

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Mar 4 01:01:56 UTC 2006

Some more thoughts in advance of the meeting to plan
the GTALug booth at the Linux World Canada show this
April. The planning meeting will be March 6th, 7:00 PM
at the Starbucks Coffee shop inside the Yonge &
Eglinton Indigo book store.

- Have exchanged e-mails with Behdad Esfahbod, and he
thinks he will probably be able to get 1,000 Fedora
Core DVDs for the show. Bill Thanis has I gather
received 500 copies of Ubuntu for give-aways at the
show.

- Getting stuff for the show is appreciated, BUT
before someone starts going after stuff to pass out at
the show I want to know about it. It would get messy
if multiple people showed up at a particular firm
asking on behalf of GTALug.

- Spoke to the powers that be at Innovation Toronto,
looks like we are good for booth furnishings
(basically the same stuff as we had last year). Now,
Innovation Toronto had furnishings for a 10' x 20'
booth, and last year using masking tape I laid out a
10' x 10' booth in the back warehouse. Then what I did
was pick and choose parts until I had a combo that
seemed to work. Question is can we do better :-) . For
those who did not attend or don't recall what the
booth looked like last year have a look at the
following:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8262

- Also, it may be possible (details are still in the
air) for volunteers to get a reward for volunteering
though Innovation Toronto. The reward in question
would be an old PC. If anyone on this list doesn't
have enough PC hardware, here is a way to get more :-)
.

- Do we want carpeting for the booth? Last year we
were on bare concrete, as I did not come up with a 10'
x 10' carpet (granted carpet was a non-issue for me,
so I didn't really try on that score). Do we want to
change that around?

- Do we want buttons for the show? The sort of buttons
I am thinking about are 2.25" (57 mm) round metal
badges with a safety pin on the back, the likes of
which could be seen during the last election with
"Vote for xxxxx" type messages printed on them. The
reason I ask is because I have a simple metal button
press, and I could very easily/cheaply do a MODEST
number of custom buttons with stuff like "Join
GTALug", or "I'm <<name>> and I'm a GTALug supporter"
or ... The only catch here is that I need more badge
parts that would need to be ordered from the U.S.
(soon).

- Gordon Chillcott contacted me off list and he noted
that his consulting firm recently had a trade show
booth where they offered several kinds of munchies.
What seemed to really attract people in his experience
were small wrapped mint flavoured chocolates. Also,
for insurance purposes I gather anything with nuts is
out (with the possible exception of user groups :-) ),
so the peanut question is answered there. The question
of what (if any) attention should we pay to other
allergies and/or religious concerns (i.e.:
halal/kosher) stands. Further, while we have
permission from Plum Communications to offer small
edible goodies, seems we still need an ok from the
convention centre (sigh).

Colin McGregor