open source license questions

Aaron Vegh aaronvegh-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 3 21:49:04 UTC 2006

Hi all,
I wrote a while back asking about an open source license option for
another developer who had their own to-do manager, which was -- and is
-- closed source. NOW, I've finished development on the first release
of my to-be-open-sourced to-do list manager, called Gravity GTD:
http://gravity-gtd.sourceforge.net

No files are there yet because I have to resolve a couple of licensing
issues, and I'd like the advice of the brilliant folks on this list. I
want to use the GPL, but currently there are two pieces of
functionality in my app which were developed by other developers. I've
written to them requesting they make their components GPL compatible,
but haven't heard back from either.

However, both pieces appear to be unlicensed in any formal way. One
piece has a note which gives credit to the author and the note: "Keep
this notice intact for use". The other piece does the same thing.

Does that mean these pieces of code are in the public domain? If so,
does that mean I can include the code in my GPL'd project?

Thanks for your help!
Cheers,
Aaron.