List etiquette

Paul King pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 3 21:36:36 UTC 2006

On 3 Mar 2006 at 12:38, William O'Higgins Witteman (William O'Higgins Witteman <tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org>) spaketh these wourdes:

> How do you tell someone who is not using threading that "their fly is
> down", i.e. their mailer is breaking threads?  It annoys me, but they
> probably don't even notice, and I don't want them to feel badly - I just
> want them to fix/change/reconfigure their MUA.  Thanks.
> --

If I am one of the guilty ones, I wouldn't know how my mailer does it anyway.
And, showing my ignorance for all to see, I thought threading was only something
newsgroups did (many of them have an xref line in the header, where mail has no
such cross-refs). It would appear to me that MUAs artificially induce threading.
And when the mailer sees a reply done a little differently, it breaks that
thread.

pjk