TOC Linux

Randy Jonasz rjonasz-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 3 17:21:25 UTC 2006

I couldn't agree more!  If anything, people can figure out how to sync their
balckberrys with Outlook in a matter of minutes.  Trying the same task on
any linux distro is not so straight forward.  I'm beginning to see the need
for OSS to polish the design before the desktop arena becomes a viable
option.  On the server side though, I can't understand why anyone would pay
a company, like Microsoft for a proprietary solution.  Linux is cheaper,
solid and easier to maintain.

Cheers,

Randy

On 3/3/06, phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org <phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> > Training can be very powerful, useful and time-saving, even if its
> training > in IE and Excel.
> >
> This is true. Unfortunately, training is often used to compensate for a
> really lousy human interface design. Two examples of my experience:
>
> - A purchase order entry system that was designed like a dungeons and
> dragons game so that users were required to take a half-day training
> course before purchasing so much as an HB pencil.
>
> - An inter-library loan system that was so badly designed that even
> computer professionals (not just me) couldn't figure it out without
> another half-day training course. In the second case, the vendor
> apparently had not done any useability testing before releasing the
> product. (To its credit, the library involved recognized the problem and
> fixed it.)
>
> Generally, if the user interface, help system and documentation are done
> properly, users should be able to figure out the program with minimal
> training. One can find out very quickly if the program meets this
> requirement by putting it in front of some naive (but assumed to be
> intelligent) end users, and watching what happens.
>
> I was part of a useability test for some teaching software (an extreme
> test, since profs are significantly less capable of operating software
> than students ;), and within minutes I had (unintentionally) sent the
> thing to never-never land. At least the program designer had the sense to
> test it.
>
> Unfortunately, end users are often sufficiently intimidated by computer
> technology that *they* think of themselves as stupid when in fact the
> problem is with the program design.
>
> It's much easier to blame the end user than to figure out how to make a
> program bullet proof and easy to use.
>
> Peter
>
> --
> Peter Hiscocks
> Syscomp Electronic Design Limited, Toronto
> http://www.syscompdesign.com
> USB Oscilloscope and Waveform Generator
> 416-465-0325

Imagine no possessions