GTALUG @ LinuxWorld Canada Planning meeting

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 3 15:44:25 UTC 2006

Hi, Colin. I was hoping that someone who was _on_ the Board would be
able to reply but I appreciate your attempt to explain the situation on
their behalf.

Colin McGregor wrote:

>Well, a response to your offer was considered at the last board meeting, and I gather that a formal response is being written.

I guess it just puzzles me how things have made it to the point where
formal responses need to be written. I suppose that others on this list
ought to consider the bureaucracy necessary at GTALUG to deal with
offers of help.

It's a shame, really. LUGs from around the country (not to mention all
the major vendors) see the value -- the necessity -- of working together
to accomplish the community's shared goals. To date, GTALUG appears to
be the lone exception to that ethos, I hope that may change.

>For Monday's meeting I want to keep the focus on what needs to be done to make the GTALug booth a success on it's own.

I'll take that as a rejection. No matter, the same night I've been
invited to participate at the KWLUG meeting. Obviously we'll prefer to
go where we're wanted.

Anyone wanting to participate at the CLUE booth will be welcomed without
the need for a formal letter of response. We'll be focusing on CLUE's
projects (see http://www.cluecan.ca/projects ), and specifically the
need to address
- the attack on open source now being waged in Ottawa (in the copyright
law debate, post-Bulte)
- the well-known hostility towards open source at Queen's Park
- awareness of the Canada-wide network of Linux and other open source
user groups

If you're interested, just write or talk to me, Herb, or Matt -- or come
to the next NewTLUG, HLUG or KWLUG meeting. The offer to collaborate
with GTALUG is still wide open.

- Evan