TOC Linux

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 3 12:41:43 UTC 2006

Randy Jonasz wrote:
> Thanks John,
>
> After looking it over, it appears the greatest hurdle to overcome is the
> cost of retraining.  I think  the study does not effectiveky represent
> this.  Alas, we live in a windows world and people have become
> accustomed to how that OS functions.  To teach a whole new skill set to
> a Sales Rep who only wants to update his contacts and fire off sales
> proposals is daunting.  We would have to account for an intial reduction
> in productivity and possible lower morale as people reject change.  This
> is not to say that OS solutions are not viable. But I am finding the
> greatest objection to conversion is what I have mentioned.

I provide computer support to users at a large corporation.  To assume
sales reps have a skill set is a bit of a stretch.  ;-)

However, in my experience, many users don't know anything about Windows
either.  They know that if they click that icon, this happens and not
much else.  In this case, teaching them to use Linux is no different
than teaching them to use Windows.

As an example of how little some users are, last week, I was speaking to
one, who didn't know where the "Enter" key was.  And there truely are
some, who should never be allowed near a computer!  ;-)