The latest attempt at a Microsoft car

Thu Mar 2 21:21:08 UTC 2006

On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 09:09:41PM -0800, Ian Zimmerman wrote:

>Evan> Why am I not surprised that their partner is Fiat?  And why is the
>Evan> project called "blew me"?
>
>Is Fiat known for obnoxious anti-competitive practices?

Not so much anti-competitive, as amusing in light of their name.

# dict fiat

8 definitions found

From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 [gcide]:

  Fiat \Fi"at\, n. [L., let it be done, 3d pers. sing., subj.
     pres., fr. fieri, used as pass. of facere to make. Cf. {Be}.]
     1. An authoritative command or order to do something; an
        effectual decree.
        [1913 Webster]

              His fiat laid the corner stone.       --Willis.
        [1913 Webster]

--snip--

Essentially, to have something obeyed on your say-so is to have made a
decree by fiat. Not that this is in any way related to M$ behaviour, oh
no...
--

yours,

William