OT: BitTorrent, encryption, traffic shaping and the Internet

Aaron Vegh aaronvegh-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 2 02:44:35 UTC 2006

It's worth noting that the traffic shaping is designed to limit UPLOAD
rates, not download. Cable internet is pro at handling downloading,
but crapola at uploads. As a result, I notice my download rates are
fine, but uploads are a trickle...less than a 1K/sec, very often.
According to the Rogers tech I spoke with, it should be higher than
that, but they're still working on the technology... in short, they're
still figuring it out.

I've been seeing a lot abotu this today (it was on Digg, for goodness'
sake!), so I'm going to try out the encryption with Azureus and see if
it helps.

Cheers,
Aaron.