OT: BitTorrent, encryption, traffic shaping and the Internet

Zoltan zhunt-KdxWn004MjY at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 2 02:11:39 UTC 2006

Meng Cheah wrote:

>> Does anyone know of encrypted bittorrents and traffic shaping?
>>
>> This appeared in the BBC:
>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/4758636.stm
>>
>> I find downloading isos by BitTorrent slower these days. I thought it
>> was dues to traffic shaping by my ISP but if this catches on, I won't
>> be surprised that encrypted bittorrents may be declared "illegal".
>>
>> Excepts from the above article:
>> "...As of last weekend the three biggest torrent programs carry
>> automatic encryption...
>> However all this made us think the following: if torrent traffic is
>> 30% and more of the internet, and it's going encrypted at a rate of
>> knots, then where does that leave the spooks, spies and other law
>> enforcement professionals who sit around monitoring the internet all
>> day?..."
>> --
>> The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://tlug.ss.org
>>
> Oops.
> Allow me to rephrase "Does anyone know of encrypted bittorrents and
> traffic shaping?"
> to "How do you detect if your ISP is using traffic shaping?'

This should give you the basics:
http://www.yyztech.ca/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=73

The story has been going around for the last few months that Rogers is
employing some kind of traffic shaping for BT clients.
As for detecting it, as far as I know, the  only way would be if you
notice your transfer speeds have dropped drastically since you
originally used it.

--
www.YYZTech.ca <http://www.yyztech.ca> Toronto talks tech.
www.Dine.TO <http://www.dine.to> Toronto's premier restaurant search engine.