System slowdown on large disk writes

Thu Mar 2 00:27:18 UTC 2006

I have noticed that when doing huge IO operations I get a system
slowdown until the operation finishes.  I don't notice unless the
read/write (and it seems to have to be both) is really big, but it
bothers me that it slows my whole machine down.  A great way for me to
replicate it is to copy a DVD iso from one place to another (mv'ing it
obviously doesn't demonstrate the behaviour at all.)  I seem to have DMA
enabled, according to hdparm, so I'm curious as to what accounts for the
behaviour, and what I can do about it.  Thanks.
--

yours,

William