OT: BitTorrent, encryption, traffic shaping and the Internet

Meng Cheah meng-D1t3LT1mScs at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 1 21:18:42 UTC 2006

Does anyone know of encrypted bittorrents and traffic shaping?

This appeared in the BBC:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/4758636.stm

I find downloading isos by BitTorrent slower these days. I thought it
was dues to traffic shaping by my ISP but if this catches on, I won't be
surprised that encrypted bittorrents may be declared "illegal".

Excepts from the above article:
"...As of last weekend the three biggest torrent programs carry
automatic encryption...
However all this made us think the following: if torrent traffic is 30%
and more of the internet, and it's going encrypted at a rate of knots,
then where does that leave the spooks, spies and other law enforcement
professionals who sit around monitoring the internet all day?..."