The latest attempt at a Microsoft car

Paul Sutton zen14920-1HOZaDBbGgxaa/9Udqfwiw at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 1 16:45:44 UTC 2006

On a more serious note, I think the more toys and distractions there are
in cars, the potential for accidents increases,  there are laws here in
the UK regarding eating, or using a mobile phone while driving,  as it's
takes your attention away from driving,  in a similar way as putting a
cassette or cd in to a player does,  in that split second anything could
happen your eyes are off the road. ,  in a city some one could run out
in front of a car,  either yours or the one up the street, a ball could
roll in to the road, meaning someone has to break or swerve, forcing you
to react accordingly,   if you are focused on the road in front you can
react quicker than if part of that focus is elsewhere,

is talking to your car navigation system (and have it not recognise your
voice properly ) any different to talking into the phone in terms of
brain activity,  this would make a intersting research paper,  for
someone at university,  I don't actually drive, however I do find as
with any activity that requires concentration, even the slightest
distraction can sometimes throw your concentration,  you could get
distracted and type rm -r / dirname instead of rm -r /dirname if someone
distracts you, while not the same as perhaps hitting someone while
driving, the results are in every way disasterous.   Even a small thing
such as something rolling around in the trunk (or boot as we call it),
can be distracting,  esp when it sounds like part of the car is falling
off.

    What do people think to this,  are all these additions a good thing,
in a car,  Regardless of who writes the software.   Probably a bit off
topic, but I think related to technology in cars,   It has it's place,
perhaps as accurate fuel gauge, or even as a distance counter, or as a
computer controlled air bag,.

Paul