Powerpoint Bloat

Marc Lijour marc-bbkyySd1vPWsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 1 02:51:18 UTC 2006

> Because around 24% of English words derive from Latin. Another 24% from Old
> French, many of which are from Old Latin and Greek. Only about 23% of
> English words are derived from English, Germanic, and Dutch languages
> combined. Having 3 words to say nearly the same thing means that
> differentiation occurs where once there was none -- shades of meaning.
> English words tend to be simple and commonly used, French, less so, and
> Latin even less -- thus register changes to high register where Latin words
> are involved, sounding rather more clever ;)

"French" influence comes in 2 parts: first the Normands, which where the
descendants of Vikings who took power on the western France and then  got to
England. They spoke their own dialect. Then came the French which was
different.

It is interesting to notice the influence over the time.
For example, "to carry" comes from the Normand "Ker" (I am not sure about the
orthography but the sound is a K sound). The same word gave "charrier" in
French, with a CH sound.

These son of Vikings were great conquerors. They also won the Sicily over the
Africans and they reigned peacefully for a hundred years..

They also got a space in a TLUG thread dedicated to Power point!...