unknown partition table

Jason Spiro jasonspiro4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 29 23:47:32 UTC 2006

On 6/29/06, Daniel Armstrong <dwarmstrong-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> But I wonder... is this "unknown partition table" an indication the
> drive is failing? I will have to investigate some diagnostic tools for
> checking hard drive health.

SMART is a nonintrusive way. smart-monitor can warn you of bad SMART
test results. Or smartmontools, if you want a tool you can use
interactively. Or your PC's BIOS might show the results of a SMART
check at every boot.

The Ultimate Boot CD has a bunch of HDD manufacturer utilities on it.
Dunno if there are any diagnostics on it though.

--
Jason Spiro: computer consulting with a smile.
I also do computer training and spyware removal for homes and businesses.