Developerfests vs Installfests

Jason Spiro jasonspiro4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 29 23:07:00 UTC 2006

On 6/29/06, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> [lots of good points and summarizing snipped]
>
> I think there's a place for ignoring non-experts, at certain times...
> <http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/1999/03/msg02288.html>

I read it. Interesting article.

But why not have one distro with an expert mode for experts (e.g. with
a lower DEBCONF_PRIORITY etc.) and a regular mode?

1. Is it because non-experts will try to choose expert mode and then
ask for help?

2. Is it because the mailing lists, IRC channels, and especially the
forums will be filled with newbies?

3. Is it because then Mark Shuttleworth and his corporation Canonical
Ltd., who are giving away an excellent product for free called Ubuntu,
would get less name recognition?

I believe all these 3 problems are solvable.

1. Set a policy of not answering newbie questions for people who
choose expert mode.

2. Create expert lists and channels. Set a policy of not answering
newbie questions there.

3. Provide lots of recognition to Canonical on the combined-distro website.

So, do you think my proposal would have worked? And is it truly too
late to reunite Debian and Ubuntu into one distro with normal and
expert modes, or would the politics be too much?

--
Jason Spiro: computer consulting with a smile.
I also do computer training and spyware removal for homes and businesses.