unknown partition table

Jason Spiro jasonspiro4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 29 22:30:16 UTC 2006

On 6/29/06, Daniel Armstrong <dwarmstrong-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
[snip]
> When I try to mount the partition manually 'sudo mount -t ext3
> /dev/sda2 /media/backup':
>
> mount: special device /dev/sda2 does not exist
>
> ...and 'sudo cfdisk /dev/sda' outputs:
>
> Unknown partition table type
> Do you wish to start with a zero table [y/N] ?
>
> Does starting with a zero table mean I lose all data on the disk?

Yes.

> How
> would I recover the previous partition table?
I have no clue. For starters: Does the disk work on other Linux
machines? Windows machines? (If you cannot check those: Does it work
when you boot off a Linux liveCD?) Also, what do you get when you run
gparted, gpart, sfdisk, or fdisk on the disk?

Please CC me,
Jason

--
Jason Spiro: computer consulting with a smile.
I also do computer training and spyware removal for homes and businesses.