OT: troubleshooting steps on a custom-built PC?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 29 13:02:43 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 01:26:55PM -0400, Aaron Vegh wrote:
> Solved!
>
> I noticed that the PSU had 230V as the supply, and being naive in
> these things I left it as-is. But a quick look at a couple other
> machines here confirmed that they were all using 115V! I flipped the
> switch and there you go.

Doh!  You mean there are still power supplies that aren't automatic? :)
Actually my latest power supply (a silverstone) also has the switch and
came set for 230V.  But since I was reading the instructions and it said
to check the switch setting, I did that before even installing it.

I guess the LED doesn't mind getting 1/2 the voltage it should be.  2.5V
is enough to light it even though it should be 5V.  At least it is
better than if they shipped it set to 115V and you plugged it into 230V.
Then it would do much more than nothing. :)

Len Sorensen