Developerfests vs Installfests

Ken Burtch kburtch-Zd07PnzKK1IAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 29 11:34:14 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-28 at 23:12 -0400, Rick Tomaschuk wrote:
> A 'stunt' is a bad idea. I hate working for free. I still think one
> event with many developer environments on hand to introduce to the
> novice to the strengths and weaknesses of particular programming
> environments for particular applications.

That won't happen unless you can convince the developers that it is
worth their time.  That is, to show financial benefit.  LUGS have no
money to pay developers to overcome their intertia, unless they can
justify it to their bosses as a day of work.

With PegaSoft's Summer Programming Challenge, I'd love to offer $10,000
first prize...but like many programmers, I've spent half of the last 5
years unemployed after the 9/11 IT crumble.  The PegaSoft Summer Retreat
is another story.  I don't know why more people don't sign up to get
away for a weekend and have some 1-on-1 Linux collaboration, unless they
don't want to book a vacation day.  Last year's retreat was the best
time I had all summer.

Ken B.

Ken O. Burtch                                     Phone: 905-562-0848
Author "Linux Shell Scripting with Bash"            Fax: 905-562-0848
http://www.pegasoft.ca                            Email: ken-8VyUGRzHQ8IsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org